Monday, September 06, 2004

After the Cataclysm

Two very beautiful makeshift memorials have gone up at the sites of the bombings. People have spontaneously been bringing candles and flowers and surrounded them by circles of stacked stones (it is a Jewish tradition to place stones on gravesites). Signs have gone up expressing defiance. One of them states "Jewish blood is not cheap." There is a quiet, stoic determination at work in this city that I find very moving to witness. People here are simply bracing themselves and moving forward in a silently extraordinary way.

I would like again to express my deep appreciation to everyone who has expressed their concern, sympathy, or support to me over the past week. I have been deeply moved by the empathy of so many of you towards me, my community, and the country I live in. Its good to know that we are not alone. Thank you.